Weird Era Cont by Deerhunter



You've gotta love Spotify don't you. There is so much music out there, literally millions of songs to listen to and a lot of it, I reckon, might well be worth a listen. Problem is I don't have enough money to buy everything that might be good.

And that's where the Spot steps in. You can now try before you buy. Of course there will be people that see it as an opportunity to never have to purchase another CD again, but for every one person with that attitude, I think there is someone that will see it as an opportunity to buy a record that they otherwise couldn't have afforded to take a punt on.

Weird Era Cont by Deerhunter is a perfect example of that. I happened across an article on them online, liked what I read, looked them up on Spotify, liked what I heard and have now bought the album. Without being able to listen to it first, there's no way I would have shelled out my hard earned on a band that I had such a vague knowledge of. So three cheers for Spotify I say!

Anyhow, enough Spotify love, I'm supposed to be telling you about how good 'Weird Era Cont' is. It is actually the bonus disc that comes with Microcastle, but don't be put off by that, it's not just a record full of crappy b-sides and outtakes.

Falling somewhere between Sonic Youth (in their quieter moments) and Yo La Tengo with the long, lo-fi guitar pop, this is a eclectic album that provides raw pop melodies, rythmic pounding build-ups over layed with hazy, scuzzy vocals, which creates a lazy, blissed out feel to the record.

Favourite tracks are the rhythmic 'Operation' with the line 'I hate you' repeated over and over again, and 'Vox Celeste', which sounds like a powerful song that is being played back through an old, crappy cassette player. Thanks to our Swedish chums at Spotify, you can listen to it here, and I strongly recommend that you do.

0 comments:

 

Copyright Full Beard 2008 | No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.